Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fun Mastectomy 2011 Photos!

I thought I'd end that title with an exclamation point to give it that "Spring Break 2011" photos feel. You will see some boobage in this set of photos (well, really close to boobage), but it ain't the kind from the beach, I can assure you. These are gross. But, again, I'm posting this for the next 33-year-old who's diagnosed with breast cancer. Just so she knows what drain bags look like, you know?

I'll start with something cute. This one's from Allie. She's really into drawing smilie faces these days. She draws Mommy Smilie Faces and Daddy Smilie Faces. Her drawing sessions go something like this:

Allie: Mommy, woo sit down heow (here).
Me: OK, Allie.
Allie: Woo want me to dwaw a pitcha for woo, Mommy?
Me: Yes please, Allie.
Allie: Woo have a big head, Mommy. Now I dwaw woo eyes and woo mouf.

It used to end around there. But the other day, she went a little further.

Allie: Heow's (here's) woo boo-boo, Mommy!

She had drawn a circle roughly where one of my drainage grenades would be. She then drew three more. She knows exactly how many boo-boos I have. Here's the resulting picture.

Allie's Picasso-esque vision of Mommy with her boo-boos.

So, now for something a little more realistic. Here's a photo of the nurse holding one of the drains that she had just removed from me. I had four of these suckers. Two on each side.

One of my drains. Which look remarkably like grenades, don't you think?



I've never been so happy in my life as I was when that final drain was removed. My sister-in-law, Chris, was with me during this appointment, which ended at about 11:20 a.m. We immediately went across the street to Mattito's so I could have a late-morning celebratory margarita.

OK, so the next photo is pretty gross. You can see a lot of bruising from my mastectomy. This is actually much better than it was a few days ago. You can also see the two holes from where the drains were. Thanks, Chris, for taking these nasty pictures.


Chupacabra holes.


Okie doke. That's enough nudie photos of me. I'll wrap this post up with a sweet video that Sabra, the children's governess, shot just before I came home from the hospital. Love how Miles whacks his sister in the head at the beginning.



Take care, Everyone. As always, thank you for your prayers.

2 comments:

  1. I read a study recently in the Journal of the American Cancer Sucks Society that conclusively proved that malignant cells consist almost entirely of tiny little nano-chupacabras. There's some kind of cool scientific research study that's trying to grow a full-size one from a piece of sentinel node, but I forget the details.

    Here's to a drain-free life (clink of champagne glass). May you keep feeling better and better, because we miss you more and more.

    Still rolling the ju-ju,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Mel!!!

    It's good to hear from you! Thank you for sharing. My church and I lift you and your family up every Monday. Your sharing helps me in testifying on your behalf of how good our God is in taking you THROUGH this journey. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Regina

    ReplyDelete